Thursday, September 16, 2010

The cost of dinner.

We played a game at my bridal shower. I'm not sure what it was, but they asked Wade what kind of cook I was. I'm not sure what answer he gave. But the three he could pick from where something like Kraft Mac & Cheese, Betty Crocker and something in-between. My Mom replied at the time that I would be a Betty Crocker. I was only 21 and had really not cooked much at all. But we did like to eat, so we made do and every once in a while we discovered something new that we liked. When we moved to Laveen I was in a Gourmet Cooking group and then a co-op dinner group. I'd say I finally became a Betty Crocker at that time. I wasn't afraid to try new things... Even cooked mushrooms (which I'm sorry I still don't like), and fish (which now I love). I love the website allrecipes.com, all the recipes are rated by users, and they can add in comments like "add more garlic" and "it need less spice" you get the idea. So the last few years I have been making 1-3 new recipes a week. Not all are our favorites, but we keep the ones we like, and learn & eat new things in the progress.

BUT, now that we have two kids who eat as much if not more than Wade and I. Plus two others that can down a good amount....I am having to cut back on how much we spend on dinner. That is making it harder and harder to have meals that fit into our "Betty Crocker" lifestyle. Wade says we should start eating beans for one meal a week. UG!

So my question is this. HOW EXACTLY am I supposed to feed a growing family of 6 on a tight budget. Meat sparingly, obviously. But fruits and veggies are expensive too, and WE ARE supposed to eat lots of those. AND YES I do garden, but that's expensive too. FREAK I'm getting more depressed as I write this.

Ug! So anyway throw your ideas this way. Especially if you have a good bean dish ;(

8 comments:

The Moore Family said...

Deirdre- I hear you on the kids actually eating now!! What the heck right?! I love, love a dish we make with a combo of black beans and kidney beans. Sautee some good ol' Hilshire farms sausage in peppers and onions and garlic. Add several cans of beans of your choice and a can of petite diced tomatoes, maybe a little BBQ sauce, maybe some salsa, maybe a small can of tomato paste. . you get the idea - we serve it over rice with a little cheese and sour cream. Great!!! I think it would probably be good meatless too, but I LOVE me some sausage!

We should have Tammy Denslow and Peggy Vo teach us the ins and outs of coupons! As for produce, http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ is pretty great and can save you $ on produce.

Jen Perkins said...

I'm not an expert in this department. But I do know of a really cheap farmer's market in Mesa. I used to go there after work and always get 2 huge bags of produce for like 6 bucks! It's kinda far away, though...on Main street about half a mile east of Greenfield. But if you're out that way it might be worth it to stop by.

Jacob F said...

Deirds - Black beans and rice, done correctly, is very tasty. You're an awesome cook, so I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Amanda said...

If your Boy's are like your brother, you have a GIANT food bill ahead of you! I remember Andrew would eat one helping and wait till everyone else was done then cleaned the dishes for use. I swear he has 5 stomachs! Just a memorie I'd thought I'd share, not to scare you or anything!

The Malone's said...

I say move back to Laveen, find someone stupid enough to do dinner co-op again with and problem solved. No really though, pasta is cheap. Lots and lots of pasta.

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

I LOVE black bean soup and it is easy and cheap. I make it quite a bit. You can put it over rice or just eat it with tortilla chips or whatever you like. I've even used the leftovers in some quesadillas. I don't have any measurements for you but I have some guidelines. :) I dump a bunch of black beans (food storage beans) in a mesh colander to sort out the broken ones, the rocks, and the shriveled up ones. Then I put them in a crockpot and cover them so that there is about 2" water over the top of the beans. They will expand to about twice their uncooked size, so make allowance for that in your figuring. :) I let them cook on high for about 7-8 hours, checking on the water level all the time to make sure it stays above the beans. When they are done cooking, I then add my salt, onion powder (or sometimes I'll saute a real onion), minced garlic or once in a while I'll add some cumin. Sometimes I'll throw a can of corn in or I'll cook up some bacon and throw it in. When I like how it tastes, I put it over rice or we just eat it as soup with a glop of sour cream and some salsa or we eat it with chips. Make the boys eat an apple before they eat dinner...fill them up on the fiber.

bugicidal man said...

(sing song) beans, beans, the magical fruit . . .

The Nerd said...

I obviously know nothing about feeding a large family. (I do know about feeding a bottomless pit of a stomach) When Kent's son would stay with us he would double our food budget. 2 things I love to do with beans is a 7 (or 10) bean soup. There are bags at the grocery store or bulk at Sprouts. Tons of recipes online. I like that is is simple and cheap. I also love Taco soup. I am sure there a recipes online but if you want one let me know. Another cheap meal that is very filling.